Spices You Can't Live Without
I cook quite a bit during the week to save money and to keep our waist lines in check. It hasn't always been easy and sometimes I do resort to a frozen pizza or my favorite 7-layer burrito. But, I've noticed that having my pantry full and my spice rack stocked makes it easier for me to make meals that my family will love and that taste better than take-out any night of the week. The trick is knowing what to keep on hand.One idea I had to quickly and efficiently stock your spice cabinet was to buy one of those pre-filled spice racks I keep seeing in the stores and online (here's one
A better idea and one that I use when re-stocking my pantry is to think about what spices I actually use on a weekly basis in my home cooking and go from there. Don't worry about spending a ton of money on spices and seasonings. There are some great options out there. One place I have found recently that has a nice selection that is not too overwhelming is Aldi's. I can get all of my basic spice needs and I don't spend an arm and a leg doing it.
![]() |
| Aldi's Spice Rack Display |
So, here are some of my favorite basic spices that I think every cook needs:
- Salt - I prefer sea salt but kosher salt is another option. Look for pre-filled sea salt grinders
.
- Black Pepper - Fresh cracked pepper is the way to go with this spice. Look for small pepper mills
all ready to use in your spice section or buy a refillable one
that matches your kitchens decor and some whole black pepper corns
.
- Onion Powder or Flakes - Keep this around for those nights when you either forgot to buy onion
or don't have the energy to chop one up.
- Garlic Powder or Dried Garlic - Sometimes you just need a little more concentrated garlic
flavor. This will do the trick and it will save you time in the kitchen.
- Dried Parsley - I love the green color this gives to any dish. I use dried parsley
in almost anything.
- Bay Leaves - They season stock, soups, and stews. Just remember to fish out any bay leaves
before serving.
- Poultry Seasoning - This mixture usually includes sage, rosemary, marjoram, thyme, and black pepper. It's an economical way to get all that flavor from just one jar. I use quite a bit of poultry seasoning
during the holidays.
This is just the few basics that I can't live with out in my kitchen. In my next Spice Rack Post I will share some of my favorite spices for Italian & Mexican or Tex-Mex cooking.
What are some of your go-to spices in your spice pantry?
Our hosts for Tasty Tuesday are Balancing Beauty and Bedlam,
For the Love of Blog, and 33 Shades of Green
Our host for Tutorial Tuesday is Hope Studio.
Our host for Topsy Turvy Tuesday's is I'm Topsy Turvy.
Our host for Delectable Tuesday is Home Sweet Farm.
Our host for Tempt My Tummy Tuesday is Blessed With Grace.
Our host for Tuesdays at the Table is All the Small Stuff.
Our host for Tuesdays Tasty Tidbits is Permanent Posies.
.png)


Those are all my basics too, as well as chili powder and cumin. I can't live without those! I buy a giant container of minced garlic (usually from Sam's) and use it with wild abandon. :)
ReplyDeletePS: I'm visiting from Topsy Turvy Tuesday!
Love it! Very true. Thanks for this - I'm going to use this when I get an apartment in August. I completely agree with salt though - totally put it on everything! :)
ReplyDeleteI will add to that list....Tony Chacheres....Cajun Seasoning. I realize it is a mix but I use it on everything.
ReplyDelete