Tasty Tuesday: Slow Cooker Enchilada Sauce

9:48 AM 0 Comments

One of my signature dishes is my Black Bean Enchiladas.  It was one of the very first vegetarian recipes that I ever tried and it has been a staple of my kitchen for years.  I have continued to work on that recipe and make it my own but one thing I have never done is attempt an enchilada sauce from scratch.

I didn't want to make a sauce that I had to babysit too much so using my slow cooker was a natural option.  You really do just dump in all the ingredients and let the slow cooker do the work for you all day long.  I also love the fact that this recipe has real ingredients and no fillers, high fructose corn syrup or unnecessary sodium.  We should be eating real food that tastes good and is good for us.  I am amazed at the stuff that gets added to our food these days.  It's kinda scary.

So, the next time you reach for a can enchilada sauce at your local grocery store consider making this recipe instead.  You won't regret it!



Recipe: Slow Cooker Enchilada Sauce

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 (32 once) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup vegetable stock
1 teaspoon each of salt & pepper

Directions:
1.  Add all the ingredients into your slow cooker and stir to combine.  Cook 8 hours on low or 4 - 5 hours on high.

2.  Pour the fully cooked sauce into a blender or food processor.  Process until smooth.

Slow Cooker Enchilada Sauce stays fresh for up to 2 weeks in a jar in the fridge or can be frozen.  Freeze sauce in a freezer bag and thaw in the refrigerator to use in your favorite enchilada recipe.





Our hosts for Tasty Tuesday are
Our host for Two Cup Tuesday is Pint Sized Baker 
Our host for Handmade Tuesdays is Lady Bug Blessings

Emily Elliott

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard. Google

0 comments, Leave one: