Tasty Tuesday: Great Aunt Susie's and Grandma's Pea Salad

The Happy Couple!
This past June was a busy month as we celebrated the marriage of my sister Sarah Parker and her partner Molly.  We started out the festivities with a combined wedding shower and engagement party for all of our family that lived in Kansas.  For some people it was the first time they were to meet Molly since the couple resides in Iowa.  

I took on the task of putting together a party that would reflect the couple's style and give them ample time to connect with family and friends.  We wanted something casual and we knew that we would serve dinner.  Our friend Terry and my Dad graciously opened up their home for the evening and let me take over their kitchen.  I designed the invitations and with Sarah Parker's help put together the guest list. 
  
Decorations were kept simple.  I chose to use yellow because it was the accent color for their wedding and orange because it compliments so well and it is one of my favorites.  I took a trip to my local thrift store and found mason jars, orange and yellow serving items, a couple baskets, raffia and a white table cloth.  I went to a craft store and found bandannas for .99 and bought several to use as table decorations.  I went to my local grocery store the day of the party and picked up yellow, red and orange gerber daisies for flowers.  I also shopped my house for items that would work in our color scheme.  



A Little Bit of John Deere
The last decorating touch was the additional of John Deere tractors and accessories that our Dad brought over from our grandma's house.  Our grandpa had passed away a few years ago and liked to decorated with John Deere memorabilia.  As a nice tie in Molly is a mechanic that just so happens to work for John Deere.  It was a nice finishing touch.      
Sarah Parker requested something barbecue and asked that we serve deviled eggs and Aunt Susie's and Grandma Chaney's Pea Salad.  The more we talked about the menu the more I realized that we were starting to collect a list of family recipes that we both loved and wanted to share.  As we have gotten older we both have been thinking about traditions and passing on things that we don't want forgotten.  One of those important legacies starts in the kitchen.  Here's the menu we came up with:

Dad's Pulled Pork with Buns and Barbecue Sauce 

Our Family's Favorite Cheesy Potato Casserole

Crock Pot Mac n' Cheese

Aunt Susie's and Grandma Chaney's Pea Salad

Carrots, Celery, Cucumbers, Cherry Tomatoes & Ranch for dippin'

Great Grandpa Hill's Fruit Salad

Mom's Deviled Eggs

Hummingbird Sheet Cake

Emily's Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with Vanilla Ice Cream

Lemonade, Iced Tea and Water 

My Mom and Dad made their recipes and I recruited my daughter to help me in the kitchen with the rest of the menu.  She also busied herself by creating table tent labels for each of the dishes so we could share who gave the recipe.  She has such an artist eye and they turned out beautifully.  

My first job was to get the pea salad recipe from my Grandmother.  I had never made it before and didn't even realize that it had made Sarah Parker's favorite foods list.  Grandma was able to give it to me over the phone from memory and convinced me it was pretty easy to put together.  I had a church potluck coming up and decided to test it then.  

As you can see from the picture below our pea salad was a big hit.  The recipe isn't amazingly difficult but it doesn't disappoint.  So, for this week's Tasty Tuesday I encourage you to whip up your own batch of Aunt Susie and Grandma Chaney's Pea Salad and start a new tradition.   



Aunt Susie and Grandma Chaney's Pea Salad

Ingredients:
2 cans of peas drained
2 stalks of celery chopped
1 medium onion diced 
3 hard boiled eggs chopped
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Place the peas, celery, onion, eggs and mayonnaise in a large bowl and mix to combine.  Add in salt and pepper to taste.  Once all of the ingredients are combined cover the salad and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight to let the flavors meld.  

This recipe serves 4 - 6 people.  It can easily be doubled to feed a larger crowd.



Our hosts for Tasty Tuesday are 

Our host for Two Cup Tuesday is
Pint Sized Baker

Emily Elliott

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard. Google

0 comments, Leave one: