Can You Make Yourself Better With Yarn?

8:00 AM , 0 Comments

How can Knitting and Crochet make us better?  That was the question that Lion Brand Yarn asked it's loyal followers in 2010 and were overwhelmed by the responses.  The video below shares just a few of the amazing responses they were able to collect on the Lion Brand Notebook.  To see all of the responses, see the first post here and the follow-up here.  Enjoy!

Lately crocheting has been bittersweet for me.  A person that I loved with my whole heart taught me how to crochet when we were getting to know each other.  We are no longer together but I still have those memories and they make me smile.  Crochet has opened up a whole new world for me.  I have met some amazing people and continued to sharpen and learn new skills.  

Now I know enough to share this gift with others.  My daughter has shown a real interest.  I bought some new hooks with her in mind.  One day soon this year we will sit down and I will start to explain just how to make her first chain.  My son is a little young yet but I know he appreciates the art involved.  He is so proud of the blanket I make for him as a baby.  He sleeps with it every night.  

I know that yarn can make us better.  It helps me to focus and reach a calm place after a hectic day.  It helps me to express myself in ways I hadn't been able to do before with color and texture.  It is a worthy craft.            

How Knitting and Crocheting Make Us Better





I commented in July on a Yarn Craft podcast about ways that knitting can complement crochet and vice versa.  We were asked to share what new technique we would like to try.  My comment is below:  

"Lately I have been rather interested in trying my hand at Tunisian Crochet. It intrigues me. I currently crochet and loom knit. I have always said that when I become really comfortable with both of those methods I would branch out and try knitting. Now that I have been introduced to Tunisian crochet I have to add it to my list as well."


I'm excited to announce that I won the book giveaway!  I received the following book in the mail a couple weeks later: "Just Like Me Knits: Matching Patterns for Kids and Their Favorite Dolls" by Brandy Fortune.  I have never knit before but I have already been inspired by the patterns and ideas in this book.  Who knew? 





 

Emily Elliott

Some say he’s half man half fish, others say he’s more of a seventy/thirty split. Either way he’s a fishy bastard. Google

0 comments, Leave one: